Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Contemplating Controversy

While there are quite a few controversies in the field of athletic training, one that caught my eye was the controversy over how a topical injury heals quickest. This controversy was brought to my attention in one of my athletic training classes at Michigan State University. When my professor asked the class whether we thought that a scrape healed quicker in a more dry condition or a more wet, moist condition I said the more dry condition. Was I correct?

As it turns out I was not correct; a scrape does not heal more rapidly in a dry condition. This was the more common idea among athletic trainers for some time and some still believe it to be true. The thought behind this is that the wound is being kept dry so that it does not attract bacteria and get infected. In doing this a scar begins to appear, making it seem as the scrape is repairing quickest. The scab will continue to change during this repair process until the scrape is no more and new healthy skin is in its place.

The other side to this controversy is that a scrape heals  quicker in a more wet condition. More and more athletic trainers are beginning to see this as the best way to repair a topical injury such as a scrape. In keeping the scrape more wet and moist the scab appears to not be forming all that well and it looks rather disgusting, but it supposedly is suppose to heal twice as fast as a scrape in a dry condition. Experiments have been done to compare the two and it seems as though this claim is very true.

This is not a huge controversy in the field of athletic training, but a controversy I found rather interesting. It seemed like such a simple disagreement, but turned out to have some depth to it. I hope that most of you found this controversy to be interesting and further your interest in the field of athletic training.

 
Work Cited
Zahir, M. "The Nature of Wound Healing, with Special Reference to Scab Formation." University of Oxford, Exeter (United Kingdom), 1965. England: ProQuest. Web. 30 Apr. 2013.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you that this wasn't as much of a controversy, but like you I found it extremely interesting. I have always been really big into all things sports, and still hope to somehow integrate my mechanical engineering into sports medicine. I would have answered the first question the same as you with thinking that dry conditions would heal a scrape quicker, but I guess you really do learn something new every day. I like how you found an argument that interested you more than a controversy that really wasn't important to you. Keep up the good blogs!


    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you found this controversy to be interesting. I have always been big into sports myself and that is why I have chosen to pursue a career in athletic training. I think it is great that you want to integrate your mechanical engineering into sports medicine. I feel there is a very good possibility you could do that. I hope as you continue on in your pursuit of a career in mechanical engineering that you are able to do so. Your feedback has been very helpful for future blogs. It is feedback like yours that makes my blogging experience more enjoyable and worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete