Monday, April 15, 2013

Practice Your Knowledge

I have learned about taping and wrapping ankles in a two of my classes this year, but have only had the chance to wrap an ankle. Instead of taping an ankle in class as well my professor taped her own ankle in front of the class. I enjoyed wrapping an ankle and got a lot out of the experience and thought that taping an ankle would be well worth the time. So that is just what I decided to do.

Before I could begin the process of taping an ankle I needed to find an ankle to tape. At first I contemplated taping my own ankle, but I decided that taping another person's ankle would be a more realistic situation. Although knowing how to tape your own ankles could be very beneficial if you are an athlete that has ankle problems because it would save you time in the trainer's room and it would allow you to develop a valuable skill. Anyways, I asked my roommate Alex if he would let me tape one of his ankles and he said he would not mine at all. I had Alex sit in the proper position and I went about taping his ankle in the necessary steps. At first my tape was not all that smooth and there were some openings between the tape, but as undid and redid taping his ankle the quality of my work definitely improved. After taping Alex's right ankle three times he allowed me to do the same to his left ankle. By the time I got working on the left ankle the amount of time it took me tape the ankle had decreased and the quality increased.

I wish my professors would have allowed a class period or two for taping and wrapping ankles. I would have benefited tremendously from the experience. I found that being hands on and actually taping an ankle allowed me to get a better grasp on things and see how different steps of the taping process accomplish certain jobs. My one professor did say that in order to become good at taping and wrapping you have to continually practice. It was not until I actually taped an ankle myself that I truly understood this. This whole experience helped me develop and learn better than I could have from just listening to my professor and it has reinforced that repetition increases learning.

 
Works Cited
Metcalf, G. R., and C. R. Denegar. "A Critical Review of Ankle Taping." Athletic Training 18 (1983): 121-3. ProQuest. Web. 30 Apr. 2013.
 "Arnheim's principles of athletic training: A competency - based approach (14th ed.). New York: McGraw - Hill.", by Prentice, W. E. (2010)
 

1 comment:

  1. I think its awesome that you are practicing for your career in your free time. I have had my ankle wrapped a bunch of times and it was never done the same way twice. I feel like hands on experiences are always better for learning. Do you get to do hands on things in other classes? Great job on the post, it really made me think about participation in class.

    ReplyDelete