Monday, February 25, 2013

Fun Facts About Athletic Training

I promised in my last blog post that I would have the responses to the questions from the interview with Matt Lang, but I was unable to interview Mr. Lang due to extensive traveling with his sports teams. He contacted me the other day and said that we can more than likely interview this week, so I will have his interview responses in my next open blog post.

So for this post I thought I would focus on some "fun facts" of athletic training. These facts may be more interesting than fun, but they demonstrate or reveal different aspects of being an athletic trainer. Some of these facts were rather surprising to me. Hope you find these facts to be beneficial in grasping a better understanding of the field of athletic training.

FUN FACTS:

1) Athletic trainers know and practice health care at the highest professional, ethical and quality standards in order to protect the public


2) Athletic trainers are regulated and licensed health care workers

3) More than 50 percent of athletic trainers work outside of school athletic settings; they provide services to people of all ages


4) ATs improve patient functional and physical outcomes.

5) ATs specialize in patient education to prevent injury and re-injury and reduce rehabilitative and other health care costs


6) ATs provide the same or better outcomes in clinical settings as other providers

7)  ATs work in rural and medically underserved areas and with people of all ages

8)  Nearly 70 percent of athletic trainers have a master’s or doctoral degree

9)   An independent national board certifies athletic trainers

10)  The National Athletic Trainers’ Association represents more than 30,000 members   (National Athletic Trainers' Association). 

Here are some related majors to Athletic Training:
- Chiropractic
- Dietetics 
- Kinesiology
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Education
- Physical Therapy
- Pre-medicine
- Rehabilitation Services
- Respiratory Therapy 

Athletic Trainers are there own specific kind of health care providers. Before doing entering college and doing this blog I didn't realize there is so much to being an athletic trainer. I never realized all the opportunities that athletic training offers outside of the field of athletic training. I could be a teacher in physical education or professional dietician. What I thought was a direct path now appears to be a fork in the road where I decide where I go with my major. Hope this blog presented you with some information you did not originally know and that it inspires you to look at all the different ways you can go with your own major.   

Work Cited


"Arnheim's principles of athletic training: A competency - based approach (14th ed.). New York: 

        McGraw - Hill.", by Prentice, W. E. (2010)






 

No comments:

Post a Comment