Monday, February 25, 2013

Observing Community

I went in search of a campus organization here at MSU and found a few. The one I found most interesting and wanted to focus in is E-Stim, which stands for Educating Student Athletic Trainers in Medicine.  I hoped to be able and participate in an event with them, but was unable due to the fact that they don't have an event coming up for some time. I would have also enjoyed attending a meeting, but there weren't any going on recently. Looking at this organization really made me think about getting more involved in my major and potentially joining this organization or others like it on campus.

I was able to find a few people who have been involved in events with E-Stim and from what they were able to tell me I assume they enjoy there time with the organization. Both of my interviewees asked me to not share their names in the blog post so I have labeled them as Steve and Sarah.

Sarah said, "It is a time where students sharing similar interests in the field of athletic training can come together, let loose, and have a good time participating in activities such as broom ball or kickball. Everyone is very accepting because they realize we are all one in the same."

Steve explained, "We get to learn more about athletic training as a whole and focus in on certain things that may not be so mainstream in the thought process about athletic training, while being in laid back, fun setting."

Both of Sarah and Steve went on to say that it has helped form relationships with people that can help them later down the road in athletic training and given them a different take on athletic training from  before they joined the organization and began participating in events. The way that their events seem to incorporate athletics into play is very appealing to myself as an athletic training major and something that I could see myself doing. Also the educational aspect could most certainly be very helpful for me in growing and becoming a well-rounded athletic trainer. Communication is a huge part of being an athletic trainer and I get the feel that this organization does a good job focusing in on that and developing that among its members.

Overall, large aspects of being a good athletic trainer are being laid back with a good sense of humor and communication and I feel this organization does a good job developing these qualities in its members. I am interested in this organization and can see myself joining the organization in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment